Rome, sixteenth century, a cartographer includes the name Calella on a map of the Peninsula for the first time. But our story begins long before that (we found Roman remains in Calella of the I century BC). In the eleventh century we had two chapels and, in the year 1101, a testament documenting the written name of Calella. Markets were held here in 1328. Overseas trade and the textile industry made us grow in the modern age up to the sixties of the twentieth century, when tourism and commercial activity had become our main activities.
The celebration of the market was very important at this time and the main square at the town hall was the market place from 1328 until the beginning of the 20th century. This square was the most populated part of the city. The market took place every Wednesday, (day which is dedicated to the God Mercury, patron of the marketers and travellers).This was the only market from Santa Susanna to Caldes (territory of Montpalau) and so Calella was a very important enclave and for this reason it was given the title of a city in 1338 by the Lord Bernat II of Cabrera proprietor of the lands of Montpalau. Permission to hold the market was given only by royal privilege and the marketers received royal protection. The life of the city took place around this area.
It was originally the ancestral home of the dynasty Monet Ballester (15c) and afterwards the dynasty Galceran (17c). Its main elements are the semi-circular great entrance, renaissance windows, heraldic (speaking) coat of arms featuring the galceran and the main fortifying stone above the main door. The classic decorative stone which is much deteriorated. At this point and the beginning of the street of Roser stood one of the main city gates.
The houses of Bogonya now occupy what were in the renaissance times, the lands of the antique house of Llúpia-Roger, a family of great prestige whom during the 16th century were the “natural mayors” of the city a title which in this era was passed on from father to son. Their noble title and coat of arms was given to them during the reign of Felipe III and this family entered into the world of the antic Catalan nobility. The most singular aspect of this house during the renaissance time was the fortified tower which was independent of the house and which extended from the house to the centre of the town hall square by a wooden bridge. In the battle of Lepanto, there was a galley calellenca, led by an important member of the Roger family. On his return and in memory of his heroic feat, a chapel was built on the summit of the “Mujal” hill, dedicated to Our Lady of the Rosary.
This is a fourteenth century manor house. According to the registration of deeds, in the year 1341 the house of Can Salvador already existed, being enlarged at a later time for subsequent purchases of adjoining land. This house can be considered as one of the first that formed part of the present town of Calella around the market place. The main elements of the house are the magnificent portal with a Gothic arch and the decorated windows and the main fortified stone remnants of the lookout tower at the rooftop overlooking the street of Bartrina, the point which was the most dangerous as it faced the sea and from where vigilance took place in case of pirate attacks. The 4 side roof structure was the symbol of a very important home. The building was restored in the late 20th century and is now in use as the city’s municipal public library.
This was originally the first Hostel of the town during the middle ages built on the grounds of the Fogassot family. It was then a bakery and butcher. It was completely restored and converted to the town hall in the 19th century until 1991 and now restored again to become a culture centre in 2008. Main elements: the semi-circular stone entrance. Still remaining from that time: is a beautiful stone portal and part of the antique facade, which was the entrance to butchers, this element resurfaced during the reconstruction of the interior of the building.
Can Basart is a classical baroque style building with a decorated façade. The building is completely transformed, but a window on the ground floor is from the original construction of the fifteenth century, when these houses were built around the environment of the market.
During the 16th century it was originally the home of the Pla family. The Basart family owed their fortune to the commerce of textiles and they also were fortunate in having family ties with the “Placies” a family of the Spanish Inquisition; which later afforded them a noble title. In this home the Baroness of Malda had accommodation and describes her activities in the main festival of June 1783 (available in the museum).
Ancestral home of rectangular floor plan which preserves the large round doorway with its supportive stone and its classical windows and the corbels which supported the defence towers. The museum was the noble home of the priest, Bernat March. It was reconstructed to a very classical style in the 17th century. Inside the museum there is a second large entrance with another semi-circular doorway. Also in the museum you will find stone window frames from houses from this era which have now disappeared such as the house of Fogassot on the street of Bruguera. This building also served in the past as a prison and teachers dwellings.
Originally it was the chapel of Saint Elm (over 400 hundred years old and constructed even before the main Parish Church). It was the chapel of the citizens of Calella and named in honour of the patron saint of sailors (Saint Elm). It also had an altar dedicated to Saint Sebastian protector against the plague. It existed even before the construction of the Parish Church: It was consolidated due to a very important ecclesiastic benefit funded by the Salvador family in the 16th century which means that even today only priests born in Calella can say mass. It also served as a meeting place for the open council throughout the 16th century (during meetings the sacred stone of the alter was removed as well as the figures of the saints so that the members of the council could say whatever they wished without offence, once it was back in place it was a religious temple and place of respect (no swearing or arguing). In the 17th century it was also used as the judge’s parlour. Tragically in 1936 its valuable gothic alter piece was destroyed (a reproduction piece is in place). Another alter was added in 1702 dedicated to the mother of god of good fortune. There is a ship resting on the arm of Saint Elm. This is a copy of the original piece. It represents a ship called the coca which calmed the seas when it passed by the chapel of saint Elm.
The original small chapel of Saint Quirze and Saint Julita was originally a very basic structure dedicated to the patron saints of Calella and situated on the Riera Capaspre (nr. the school) it deteriorated with age and was translated to the church of Saint Elm.
Can Bartrina was the ancestral home of noblemen and honourable citizens of Barcelona. The building takes its name from the Bartrina family, from Barcelona, which linked in the nineteenth century with the Roca family, custodian of all patrimonial rights of the house of Prim from Calella, descendants of the houses of Coma of Capaspre, Bataller and March, one of the oldest lineages Calella. Its singular elements are the coat of arms above the door, the great entrance door, the decorated windows, its defensive tower stone supports and its classical decoration. In front of this house you will also find a magnificent late gothic window.
A fifteenth century manor house located at the corner of “street del Mar” with the street known then as the street of the “Three Furnaces” due to it being where the being where the bread furnaces where situated beside the house of Can Salvador by joining the Square. The main facade facing the street de Mar has a great doorway and a Gothic window . The facade, has two symmetrical windows on either side, with a small arch and decorative reliefs and there are small openings on the second floor with a masonry round arch. It was the 16th century home of the Batlle family.
It was in 1525 that permission was obtained from the Pope Clement VII for Calella to constitute itself into an independent parish (until then depending on Pineda). In 1528 the land was acquired for the building of the new temple, which was consecrated in 1564. The 16th century church was 21 m long and 13 metres wide and also served as a small fortress. The church bell tower was made of stone and for defence purposes had narrow lookout windows and two canons. The church was surrounded by a wall with an iron gate at the street of Romaní, in line with the street of Sivilla where the other town gate was situated. The cemetery was to the north to the street of Bruguera, which was normal at that time due to the odours as the shadow of the temple during the day did not allow the heat to penetrate fully and the odour was minimized. The tower collapsed in 1747 causing the destruction of the temple, which was rebuilt again in 1755 and expanded in 1785 with a transept or crossing, and adding the chapel of Sorrows, designed by Josep Morato from Vic. The church was partially destroyed again in 1936 during the Spanish Civil war and rebuilt between 1940 and 1951, according to project of Jeroni Martorell. The sculptures around the main entrance to the church are the works of the famous French sculpture and master of works Jean de Tours and where originally situated at the base of the altar.