The organization has announced a new date for the event initially scheduled for the 17th of May, which will now take place on the 4th of October, 2020 coinciding with the IM Barcelona International Triathlon.
The IRONMAN organization has decided to suspend the 2020 edition of the IRONMAN 70.3 Barcelona, which was to take place on the 17th of May, due to the impact of the coronavirus pandemic. The current health crisis has recommended that this decision be taken to keep athletes and the general population from risk.
The mid-distance triathlon, however, has not been cancelled and it is set to take place on October 4th, 2020 in conjunction with the IM Barcelona distance triathlon. The IRONMAN organisation has communicated this change of date on its official website, explaining that the decision has been made following the directions and recommendations of the public health agencies and local authorities. You can access the official IRONMAN communication at https://www.ironman.com/updates
IRONMAN and the Calella Town Council have planned logistics so that the two events can take place on the same day, October 4th, with a prevision of approx. 5,000 athletes competing. The aim will be to make sure that the athletes in each of the races overlap as little as possible.
Firstly, the IRONMAN 70.3 swimming segment in the rolling start mode will begin, followed immediately by the long distance participants.
The day will continue with the bicycle segment, where the decision has been taken to allocate a complementary parking area for the bicycles at RENFE for the IRONMAN 70.3 participants. The parking at the Camp de Futbol de Mar (the football pitch at the beach) will be for the long distance participants. There will be only one bike circuit, and athletes will do their laps depending on their race distance.
Finally, the participants will start the running race, which will be the same for both races, as it has been so far.
With the aim to maintain the triathlon and not cancel these sporting events so important to our city, all the possible alternatives have been evaluated. In the first instance the possibility of the two events taking place on different weekends was considered, however, the calendar for the last quarter of the year, filled with other events also cancelled and the permissions for the closure of roads already granted, has not made it possible to hold the event on two separate weekends. Finally the best option has been to hold the two IRONMAN triathlons on the same day.