From 7 to 11 March, Calella took part once again in the Internationale Tourismusbörse, ITB Berlin, one of the most important fairs in Europe for travel industry experts and the general public. As on other occasions, Calella has been present within the stand of the Catalan Tourism Agency, sharing space with other destinations from Costa de Barcelona.
This presence at the ITB fair has allowed the delegation of Calella to carry out interviews with travel agencies and tour operators, as well as to promote the attractions of the city among the large audience.
The German tourism market is interested in sun and beach destinations and active tourism activities
According to the Catalan Tourism Agency (ACT) related to the German tourist profile, the Germans spend the holidays to rest and mostly to disconnect from work. German tourist prefers the Mediterranean destinations, the Catalan coast and, also, the Balearic Islands and the Canary Islands. Other countries such as Turkey, Croatia and the Italian Adriatic coast are also chosen by the Germans to make their vacations. Its favourite product is sun, beach, visits to cities and active tourism.
In this sense, according to the ACT, the demand for tourism activities and experience shows a marked upward trend among the German tourism market, especially in terms of cycling and hiking. The number of German cyclists has increased by 30% since 2014. It should be noted that Calella's tourism promotion strategy has focused in recent years on promoting this type of tourist offer, with activities such as the Cycling stage, the routes of nature or specific digital advertising campaigns related to sports tourism, such as the one implemented during the Velothon Berlin race in June 2017.
Germany, the second tourist source market in Calella
According to the statistical occupation data collected by the Calella Tourism Office, in 2017 there has been a decrease of 5.51% of German tourists in Calella (13.42% of the total of overnight stays), with respect to 2016 (18.93%), becoming the second nationality of the tourists who visit us, in comparison with the previous year that was the first.
Despite this decrease in overnight stays, if we analyse the access data to the website calellabarcelona.com from Germany, there is a growing interest in the destination. During the year 2017, visits to the web have grown 80% with respect to the previous year, and when they do it from mobile devices this indicator shows an increase of 195%.
Regarding the demographic data of the visits to the web, the origin is located mainly in Berlin, Cologne, Frankfurt and Hamburg. In relation to the contents most visited by the German users, the lighthouse of Calella, cycling, shopping and beaches stand out, showing a correspondence with the data provided by the ACT. Apart from the interest in the destination activities, the Germans also show curiosity about the surroundings of Calella and what to visit near the city.